Online LLM in International Law and Treaty Law EUCLID (Euclid University)
EUCLID, an international intergovernmental organization with a university mandate, offers to select students from the general public an external (distance or online) degree program called the EUCLID LLM in International Law and Treaty Law (Master of Laws). As a public non-profit institution, EUCLID is able to offer affordable, low-tuition programs.
This online LLM in international law, representing 24 US credits (36-40 ECTS), is one of the world's only two LLM degree programs offered by an intergovernmental organization constituted under international law (the other one being offered by the European University Institute).
Partial scholarships are available ECOWAS residents and the permanent staff of intergovernmental organizations.
This unique LLM degree focuses on the actual practice of States and intergovernmental organizations, rather than the advancement of academic knowledge for its own sake.
This program was designed to be used by professional diplomats working for the EUCLID Participating States and can be considered an excellent route to pursue a career within governmental bodies, international law firms, NGOs and international organizations. It is also very well suited for lawyers (attorneys, barristers) desiring to acquire a higher level of international legal expertise with an LLM credential.
Within certain parameters, the EUCLID Online LLM in International Law and Treaty Law is customizable, with elective courses focusing on:
- International organizations
- International Business Law
- European Law
- Maritime law
- Treaty drafting, negotiation, and application.
EUCLID has ongoing enrollment (intake) for this program. It is acceptable to apply several months in advance but it is recommended to apply 60-40 days in advance. General public slots are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- ACA-401L (International Academic and Legal Writing)
- TPH-499 (Argumentation and Critical Thinking)
- LAW-INT1 (International Law Core Part 1)
- LAW-INT2 (International Law Core Part 2)
- DIP-406 (LLM Thesis)
Optional / Elective Courses (list may not be exhaustive):
- DIP-406A (International Organizations)
- LAW-INT3 (US perspectives)
- LAW-LOS (Maritime Law / Law of the Seas)
- LAW-ICJ (Maritime Law / Law of the Seas)
- LAW-TAX (International Taxation Issues)
- LLM-IIP (International Intellectual Property)
- LLM-IBL (International Business Law)
- LLM-ISDS (Investor-state dispute settlement)
This program will deliver not only a recognized LLM credential, valuable for legal practitioners but indeed actual expert-level knowledge in key aspects of international legal practice. It will greatly enhance the competency and career prospects of diplomats, civil servants, lawyers, international consultants, and specialized journalists or authors. The LLM also provides a path to obtain a full Master's degree (MSc) followed by a PhD (the EUCLID PhD in International Law and Treaty Law).