Foundations of U.S. Law & Practice - Summer Program Ohio State Moritz College of Law
Are you interested in improving your profile through enhanced legal English and knowledge of the U.S. legal systems, dispute resolution, business and corporate law? In building the confidence and lawyering skills that employers are looking for? In learning from Moritz College of Law’s faculty experts as well as judges and practitioners working at federal courts and global law firms in Columbus?
The Foundations of U.S. Law & Practice program is designed to provide you with these advantages. Success begins with you!
This is a non-degree, non-credit bearing program; participants do not receive course credit or a degree. There is no final exam; participants will receive a Certificate of Completion for any or all of the weeks in which they participate.
We reserve the right to cancel this program in compelling circumstances that prevent the program from being held (such as low enrollment, health and safety emergencies, and other intervening events). All fees will be immediately returned in the event of cancellation.
Benefits of the summer Foundations program
- Gain broad exposure to the basic legal principles of U.S. law, international law and transnational law, as well as to the U.S. legal profession within just 3 weeks.
- Earn a certificate: You will receive a certificate of completion for each week you attend to share with prospective employers and your professional network.
- Flexibility: You can choose to study for 1 week, 2 weeks, or all 3 weeks. In offering a flexible program, we cater to your interest in focusing on a specialized topic or in gaining knowledge in various topics at the same time.
- Set yourself up for success: With the knowledge and lawyering skills you gain from this program, you will be able to demonstrate to employers that you’re growth-driven, hardworking, and have valuable skills to offer.
- Gain hands-on experience: Throughout the program, you will develop insights into how to think and work like an American lawyer, by directly learning from and interacting with Moritz faculty experts, federal and state judges, and practicing attorneys at law firms in Columbus.
- International lawyers, judges, and legal practitioners: deepen your expertise; expand your network; and earn a certificate.
- International students: gain first-hand experience with law school teaching style and culture; and earn a certificate.
- LLM prospective students: experience Master-style classes, and gain advanced preparation for your LLM studies in the future.
When will the program take place?
Join us for one week, two weeks, or all three weeks:
- June 5-9, 2023: Introduction to U.S. Legal Systems
- June 12-16, 2023: Dispute Resolution
- June 19-23, 2023: Corporate and Business Law
What will you learn?
During 3 weeks, you will learn:
- Foundation of U.S legal systems, legal research and writing, and English for lawyers.
- Key legal concepts in the fields of dispute resolution, business law, and corporate law.
- Practical skills such as issue spotting, negotiation, client advice, legal document drafting, and dispute resolution skills.
Who will you interact with?
- Full-time and adjunct faculty members at the Moritz College of Law, including leading experts in the area of their teaching, federal judges, and attorneys from Columbus law firms.
- Participants from all over the world, from recent law graduates to working professionals with legal experience.
Expand your professional and personal networks with our program!
What out-of-class activities does the program offer?
Besides classroom hours between 9 am - 3 pm each day, the program also creates fun activities for you, including networking events, courthouse and law firm visits, tours of the Ohio State campus or Columbus (the Columbus City Adventures tour), and a certificate ceremony at OSU's Barrister Club.