LLM International Business Law - Full-time The University of Law Postgraduate Programmes
Our LLMs from our new Master's in Law suite of programmes are designed for law graduates who want to explore the practical application of a particular, specialist area of the law. Study face to face or online.
LLM International Business Law - Full-time
A Master of Laws (LLM) is a postgraduate degree designed to enhance your academic legal knowledge, particularly focusing on specific areas of interest. Specially designed for law and non-law graduates who want to gain a Master’s qualification in law, this course focuses on developing an in-depth knowledge of International Business Law. We have developed this course to put legal business practices into the context of the global marketplace, giving you the knowledge and skills to work effectively within international corporations.
The law in context
Gain essential in-depth knowledge and insight in your chosen area of law and understand the importance of legal rules as they are applied in the real world.
The programme structure is highly flexible. You can design your own degree pathway that suits you and meets your career objectives, whatever they might be.
Taught by subject experts
Taught by a combination of former and current practitioners, as well as research and teaching academics who are focussed on legal practice, not just theory.
UK Entry Requirements
- Students should possess a UK undergraduate degree in any subject at 2:2 or above or an equivalent qualification.
- A compulsory two-week induction is required for all students unless they can evidence the successful completion of either:
- An LLB or equivalent; or
- A minimum of 3 legal modules, worth at least 80 QCFcredits that must include;
- English Legal System
- Contract Law
- Law of Tort
English language requirements for applicants whose first language is not English
- An English language level equivalent to IELTS 6.5 or above, with a minimum of 6.0 in each component.
The LLM International Business Law is an innovative, flexible programme designed for law and non-law graduates who would like to gain essential detailed knowledge of international trade and business from a legal perspective. Whether you want to progress within your current career, have plans to join a global corporation or simply want to know more about international business law in practice, this programme will provide you with the knowledge to help you achieve your ambitions.
When you study the LLM International Business Law with us you will:
- Be taught by subject matter experts, former and current practitioners and research and teaching focused academics.
- Focus on legal practice, not just theory.
- Benefit from strategic partnerships with firms, regulators and accreditation bodies.
- Learn about Legal Technology by selecting to study modules in legal technology.
- Improve your employability by gaining important transferable skills and mapping your career with our careers team.
The award-linked module for this programme (International Trade Law) covers areas such as international sales law, INCOTERMS, e-commerce (including the UNCITRAL Model Law on e-commerce), letters of credit and choice of law. The aim of this module is to put international trade in context, enabling you to learn how to apply complex theoretical concepts to real-world client situations.
In addition to a general induction to the programme, there is a two-week induction covering the Key Principles of the English Legal System. This is compulsory for non-law students, but also open to law students wanting a refresher in the fundamentals of the law of England and Wales. This would be useful for any student who has taken a considerable break from legal education.
To help prepare you for your dissertation you’ll study a range of compulsory and further optional Research Methods Training sessions in your first terms.
Please note that, due to Home Office regulations, students who require a Student Route visa to study with us are not permitted to study online and can only choose face-to-face taught modules.
Terms 1 & 2 (full-time)
Two-week induction: For non-law students, this includes a compulsory introduction to the law of England and Wales which must be completed before commencing your first modules.
You will complete:
- International Trade Law
- Research Methods Training (sessions throughout Terms 1 and 2)
You may then choose three from the list of elective modules* which includes modules such as:
- Company Law and Compliance
- Corporate Governance in Practice
- International Corporate Governance
*All elective modules are subject to availability.
Term 3 (full-time)
- Dissertation in International Business Law
Modules are assessed by a three-hour unseen written examination or 4,500-word coursework assignment.
Attendance at one of our UK campuses (or an approved overseas centre by prior arrangement) is required for all examinations, including for online study.
The default campus location for online study is London.
The dissertation module will be assessed by submission of a thesis (15,000 words), and provides an opportunity for a sustained, in-depth and intensive investigation into, and reflection upon, a specialist area of International Business Law.
This course has an innovatively flexible structure, with specific assessments that are conducive to effective learning.
How to Apply
- You can apply for this course directly with the University.
- This course cannot be chosen to study alongside our Legal Practice Couse (LPC).
Please note: Our Hong Kong courses are not yet open for applications. If you are interested in finding out more about studying in Hong Kong, please register your interest today.