LLM Legal Practice
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield, United Kingdom
GBP 14,820 *
Earliest start date
* for UK, EU and International students, for the 2021/2022 academic year
"Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2021/2022. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details."
Why choose Herts?
- Professional Accreditation: This Legal Practice Course (LPC) meets the requirements of the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). This is the established pathway into a career as a solicitor.
- Work-Related Learning: LPC students gain client-facing casework experience working in legal services within our award-winning pro-bono Law Clinic providing community-based legal services.
- Teaching Excellence: You will be taught by experts, including practising solicitors and barristers who will train you to work on authentic, real-life scenarios at our £10m Law Court Building inclusive of a full-scale replica Crown Court Room.
The course meets the requirements of the Solicitors Regulation Authority (S.R.A.) for the Legal Practice Course (L.P.C.) and is the established pathway into a career as a solicitor.
As a course approved by the S.R.A., you must also apply through the Central Applications Board (LawCAB).
About the course
If you want to be a solicitor and work in the legal profession, the full-time one-year L.L.M. Legal Practice offered by the University of Hertfordshire is the course for you! Our course not only offers an established route into the legal profession but also enables you to obtain a prestigious L.L.M.
In Semesters A and B, you will study Stages 1 and 2 of the Legal Practice Course (L.P.C.), both of which are required by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (S.R.A.):
- Stage 1 includes compulsory modules on Professional Conduct and Regulation, Wills and Administration of Estates, Solicitors' Accounts, Legal Writing, Legal Drafting, Practical Legal Research, Advocacy, Interviewing and Advising, plus 3 core practice areas of Business Law and Practice, Litigation (both Criminal and Civil) and Property Law and Practice.
- Stage 2 elective modules (choice of 3) include Employment Law, Family Law, Immigration Law, Personal Injury, Private Client and Estate Planning, Commercial Law, Commercial Property Law and Private Acquisitions.
Finally, in Semester C, you will complete an extended project over the summer. You will leave us with the knowledge and skills required by the legal profession - skills that are highly valued by potential employers.
Why choose this course?
The University of Hertfordshire is well known for its great links with industry and the professions, it's first-class teaching, high-quality facilities and dedicated staff. Naturally, this course is no different. Taught by experts, including practising solicitors and barristers, it will equip you with all the up-to-date, transferable, interpersonal and practical skills you will need for your career in the legal profession.
Our innovative teaching methods utilise experiential learning to prepare you for practice, including our state-of-the-art courtroom where you will develop advocacy skills – a core component of the L.L.M. Legal Practice. You will also have many opportunities to undertake co-curricular activities to strengthen your skills in areas such as commercial awareness, adjudication and family mediation and to participate in a range of pro-bono projects, including our award-winning Law Clinic.
We limit class sizes to ensure that you receive the best teaching and pastoral support. This also enables the teaching to be flexible and focused on the needs of the individual students, setting them on their chosen pathways into highly successful legal careers.
You may be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England, so you can focus entirely on your studies to maximise your potential. Hertfordshire Law School has helped graduates forge successful careers for 40 years. You’ll benefit from our reputation for being forward-thinking, innovative, and responsive to the world around us.
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare. Together we'll ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and building your career.
If you need support, we’re here for you. Hertfordshire Law School is a warm, welcoming community where you’ll find plenty of people to encourage you through your studies. You’ll have your own academic support tutor for the whole time you’re here, and our friendly cohort leaders are always happy to talk things through. If you need some personal support, we’ve also got our own wellbeing leader, and many of our academics are trained and accredited in mental health first aid.
For additional free help with study skills, you’ll have access to our academic support services. You can attend workshops, 1-to-1 sessions and online tutorials. Both our Learning Resources Centres run drop-in study skills sessions.
- Sandwich placement or study abroad year: n/a
- Applications open to international and EU students: Yes
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.