International Commercial Law LLM University of Westminster
Post graduate Open Evening
Wednesday 7th June 2023 - On campus - 5:30-7PM (BST)
The International Commercial Law LLM balances the best of a rigorous, traditional legal education with a contemporary perspective. Our areas of specialisation address today’s most important business and legal challenges, including the study of commercial relationships in the international arena, the role and impact of electronic commerce, and the gradual harmonisation of international commercial law.
This Master's is not merely about what you learn in the classroom, it's also about actual practice in today’s world of globalisation and international commerce. That is why the LLM provides, in addition to a strong academic dimension, a concentrated, real-world-oriented legal education.
The course offers you the opportunity to develop strong academic and practical skills in a highly competitive and intellectually satisfying area of law. It's ideally suited to you if you come from commercial law, international business, management, or economics background. You'll have the opportunity to explore your own ideas, gain knowledge and enhance transferable skills in a supportive environment. You'll benefit from a strong programme of visiting speakers, excellent online materials and learning resources, top-quality instruction and a professional and practical focus in a School with a strong research profile.
Top reasons to study with us
- Learn in the heart of London – Studying at our Regent Campus in central London, you'll be perfectly placed to access London's legal, business and cultural resources.
- Study on a vibrant multicultural course – Our course is notable for the diversity of students and the varied specialisms of our teaching staff (both academics and practitioners), which creates a uniquely stimulating learning environment.
- Suitable for both law and non-law graduates – The course is for you, whether you're a new lawyer exploring the field of commercial law or a non-lawyer graduate acquiring the legal knowledge to liaise with legal specialists in the commercial field.
- An introduction to the different legal systems – Our course is aimed at students from both civil law (Roman law) and common law (English law) jurisdictions.
- Be supported – Our friendly and approachable teaching staff prioritise personal contact, and you'll be supported by a personal tutor.
- Learn in top facilities – Westminster Law School has a full mock courtroom, hi-tech learning spaces and a pro-bono clinic, as well as a state-of-the-art lecture theatre.
Why study this course?
- Fantastic central London location
You'll be studying in the centre of one of the world’s greatest cities, within easy reach of London's unrivalled library, cultural and archive resources.
- Develop your legal knowledge and skills
You'll gain both a strong legal academic grounding as well as knowledge of real-world practice in contemporary international commercial law.
- Enhance your career prospects
You'll develop your analytical skills and ability to evaluate issues in international commercial law, equipping you for your career in the practice of law.
Our graduates have typically gone on to (or returned to) a professional legal career in the UK or overseas law firm, quite often in a civil law jurisdiction, interacting with the English common law in such areas as shipping or sales disputes. Other graduates have gone on to study to become a solicitor or barristers in the UK or abroad.
The International Commercial Law LLM also equips you to work in a legal liaison role within small to medium enterprises, especially those involved in the transnational provision of goods and services. In a liaison role, you'll be able to informally assess legal risk and to advise and take legal advice from specialist lawyers on behalf of their company.
- Supporting your career
We offer 1-2-1 appointments with careers advisors, advice on your CV and job applications, and mock assessment centres and interviews. We also run a law vacancy jobs bulletin.
- Industry links
You'll have access to events and workshops with law firms, alumni, and career professionals to help you to get started in your law career through our Legal Skills Academy.
- Employers around the world
The University’s Careers and Employability Service has built up a network of over 3,000 employers around the world, helping all our students explore and connect with exciting opportunities and careers.
To be awarded the LLM in International Commercial Law, you'll study two core modules and choose five option modules.
The following modules are indicative of what you'll study in this course.
- Foundations in International Commercial Law
- Carriage of Goods
- Corporate Social Responsibility Issues in Business and Law
- International Taxation Law
- Law of International Sales
- Legal Aspects of Electronic Commerce
- Multinational Corporate Entities and Foreign Investment
- Intellectual Property
- International Economic Law
- International Banking Law and Regulation
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
The University is dedicated to supporting ambitious and outstanding students and we offer a variety of scholarships to eligible undergraduate students, which cover all or part of your tuition fees.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.