Why Edinburgh Law School
Renowned for our international and interdisciplinary outlook, we have been at the heart of legal education and research for more than 300 years.
1707 marked the foundation of the Faculty of Law, now known as Edinburgh Law School, which is situated in historic Old College in the heart of Edinburgh, minutes from both the Law Courts and Scotland’s Parliament.
By studying at Edinburgh Law School, you’ll join a vibrant, active community of world-leading researchers, legal professionals and students at all stages of their education.
When choosing where to study, a university with a strong reputation may be quite high on your priority list and the University of Edinburgh name is one that has high impact all around the world.
- 14th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for Law.
- 25th in the world and 6th in the UK for law in the 2018 QS World University Rankings by Subject: Law.
- 4th in the UK for research power, based on the quality and breadth of our research (Research Fortnight Power Rank, REF 2014).
Scotland's capital is a beautiful, historic city which has regularly been voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world. Large enough to offer something for everyone, but small enough to feel like home, Edinburgh is a modern, sophisticated and beautiful European city with a diverse, multicultural community.
- The University's campus is ranked the 2nd most beautiful in the UK (Times Higher Education, 2017).
- Edinburgh is ranked in the top 20 best student cities in the world, 2nd in the UK (QS Best Student Cities 2017).
- Edinburgh was ranked 2nd in the world for quality of life (Deutsche bank, 2017).
- Edinburgh was named the third-safest city in the world according to a survey conducted by conducted by Post Office Travel Insurance in 2015.
We'll support you to reach your career goals
All of our students have access to a specialist law careers advisor who can offer tailored support for your career planning and development.
We also build useful skills into our teaching and assessment, encouraging our students' written and presentation skills and communication and analytical abilities, as well as developing your knowledge in your chosen area.
You'll be part of an impressive network
As a postgraduate student at Edinburgh Law School, you'll learn directly from academics whose work is influencing policy and practice, both here in the UK and worldwide.
You'll study alongside students who come from an exceptional range of countries and professional or academic backgrounds, and whose perspectives will only enrich class discussions.
Of course, your time with us is not all about study. The University has a large choice of student societies to join or you can get involved with the Law School's own student-led postgraduate communities to help you forge friendships outside of class.
Edinburgh Law Postgraduate Hub arranges social events to help the Law School's postgraduate students get to know each other.
Edinburgh Law Connections is an alumni community specifically for LLM or MSc graduates. The group organises regular networking events with former students.
We offer lots of choice
Whether you are considering a PhD or a taught programme, you'll find an exceptional breadth of topics on offer here, from criminal justice to commercial law, or from intellectual property to international banking regulation.
You can study with us here at Edinburgh or from afar thanks to our Online Learning programmes.
This school offers programs in: